Do you have a Desktop PC? Online casinos offer multiple choice for desktop users. Some, but not all provide mainly 2 options; instant or download. Those that offer instant are usually more user friendly and less discriminative, allowing play directly from your PC’s web browser, be it Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc. You’ll be hard pressed to find a casino in this day and age that doesn’t offer an instant option to play their games. Often these run on Adobe Flash, so if you know your computer runs this plugin then you’re sorted. Some experts in the industry say that download casinos are a thing of the past, but some major brands such as Paddy Power and Gala Casino still support by them as it gives customers more flexibility and freedom to be in control of their gambling. Users are advised to check the system requirements before attempting to download casino software and often it only runs on Windows based PC’s, excluding Mac users from the download option.[/three_fourth] [one_fourth_last]
Top Desktop Casino Sites
|500% 1st Deposit Bonus up to £50 18+. T&Cs Apply. New Players only. Min £10 buy-in to get £50 bonus.|
24 x (Bonus) wagering reqs apply. Bonus valid for 30 days (bonus and winnings removed).
Certain deposit methods only. Bets covering 67% or more of
Roulette table don't count to wagering.
+ Loyalty Rewards
+ Bet & Spin
|Get Bonus & Play|
|£400 Welcome Bonus Package + 100 Spins New eligible UK players only. Select Casino offer on sign-up and deposit. 4 deposits of £10, £20, £50, £100 matched with a bonus cash offer of same value (14 day expiry). 35x real money cash wagering (within 30 days) on eligible games before bonus cash is credited. Spins credited upon deposits; under £50 =10 Spins, £50 or over =25 Spins; on Book of Dead only (3 day expiry, winnings paid in cash). Play Responsibly. 18+ begambleaware.org. Click for full T&C's.||Live Games|
+ Free Spins
+ Best Mobile
|Click To Play|
|Deposit £10 Play with £60 + 20 Free Spins 18+. T&Cs Apply. UK & IRL New Players only. e-wallets are not valid for promotion. |
35 x (Bonus) wagering reqs apply. Some games contribute less to wagering requirement.
Winnings from bonus capped at £500. Spins available after bonus is redeemed/lost.
10 per day with no wagering. £10 deposit required.
+ Jackpot Slots
+ Top Support
|Get Bonus & Play|
|100% 1st Deposit Bonus up to £400 18+, First Deposit Only. Min £10 deposit. Max £400 bonus. |
20x (deposit & bonus) wagering reqs apply. Contribution to wagering reqs vary by game.
Bonus valid for 14 days (bonus and winnings removed).
Bets covering 67% or more of Roulette table do not count to wagering reqs.
+ Top Jackpots
+ VIP Programme
|Get Bonus & Play|
|Deposit £50 Get 50 Free Spins 18+. T&Cs Apply.||Loyalty Store|
+ Free Spins
+ Bingo Games
|Get Bonus & Play|
If you are looking for fancy animations, cool video sequences, game intros and funky bonus rounds, it is worth doing a bit of research on gambling software that casinos use to make the games as these often set the bar for the quality of the overall provider. Top software creators for desktop casinos include IGT, Playtech and Microgaming, all of which offer top-of-the-range graphics.
Depositing and Withdrawing
Whatever you plan to play on your PC, you’ll need to attach a payment method to your casino account to provide funds for gambling. The flexibility of desktop casinos usually means that people using these devices have the biggest choice of payment options, compared with the likes of tablets and mobiles. The ideal situation will be that you will be at least familiar with 1 or 2 depositing methods that are often used on other websites outside of gambling, such as online shopping. Options to deposit and withdraw funds on your PC usually include the minimum of Visa and Mastercard cards, Neteller and on some providers Paypal.
Making an informed choice
If you plan to find a casino that you wish to become a customer long-term, you should carefully vet each website yourself and write down what appeals to you most. Some smaller providers don’t offer as many games to choose from and sometimes may exclude big-name games that you may take for granted. What’s more is if you wish to have a cross-industry provider (such as slots, poker, bingo, betting) you will need to check with the sectors available before signing up. For example Starspins is a fantastic slot game provider, but the site stops there. As a leading slots-only casino in the UK, players are unable to play table games and others that are outside of the slots sector. Others on the other hand such as bgo, offer particular categories for players including casino games, slots, bingo and more under one single account.
6 (interesting) points about desktop casinos
- 90% of download-casino providers supply .exe software which caters for Windows users only.
- Casino software that is downloadable often includes more games than those found on instant casinos.
- Plug and play; you only need to download and install casino software once, unlike instant options where web browsers and plugins are needed each time you play.
- Download-casino software offers a secure environment to play where you can limit software access by hiding it in a folder, or limiting it to a particular PC-user account.
- Peace of mind knowing that a web browser is not always needed. Some hackers target web browsers to eavesdrop and tap in to personal details including payment information.
- There are 2 casino options for desktop users; desktop download and desktop instant.
Advantages of playing at a desktop casino
- Play from the comfort of your computer chair at your desk.
- Desktops usually have large screens with high resolutions for bigger and more crisp gaming / graphics.
- Download casino software straight to your computer and create desktop icons for quicker access.
- Instant casinos played via web browsers usually require plugins such as java or flash, which are more readily available from desktop PC’s.
Disavanages of playing at a desktop casino
- Downloadable software is limited to the computer it is installed on.
- Not portable; players are limited to sitting at their desk and can not move around or play on the toilet. (Who doesn’t love playing games on the bog?)
- Some computers can be hot and noisy, making it difficult to concentrate when playing casino games, especially during intense decision making.
Frequently asked questions
1. Is downloadable desktop casino software safe?
Absolutely! Providing you ensure that the software you install is actually the casinos’ software at the time you click ‘download’, then install the exact file you downloaded from their website you should have no problems. In fact for the average computer user it is probably safer to download software where the option is available because you are not relying on your browsers security stopping snoopers or hijacking pop-ups should there be malware present.
2. What about instant desktop safety?
Also yes, very safe. As long as you carry out general housekeeping on your PC with anti-virus software etc you should have no problems, and there is no difference from visiting and playing with a casino site compared with general browsing of social media, shopping sites and other websites.
3. Do i still get good bonuses from desktop casinos?
Yes, the bonuses tend to be exactly the same as instant, mobile and tablet casinos. On occasion some casinos offer separate bonuses exclusive for mobile if they are promoting a new app or highlighting a new launch.
4. How popular is desktop gaming?
Overall, web usage in gambling is pretty evenly spread between desktops and portable devices such as iPads, so if we had to put a number on it we’d go with 50/50 based on experience and the circles we mix in. [/alert]